Monday, October 25, 2010

Southern Lights Cowl

I love cowls. Seriously. Being a Florida girl, scarves just aren't practical for us. We only get to wear them for maybe a few weeks out of the year, and even then it's only for the few minutes between vehicles to buildings. But a cowl, especially made in a lightweight yarn, can be worn whenever. And you don't look like you forgot to take off your scarf when you came in a building.

I designed the Southern Lights Cowl at the beginning of this year. The yarn I used, Crystal Palace Yarns Mini Mochi, literally jumped off the shelf at my LYS and demanded to be made into a cowl. Not only that, it demanded to be made into a nifty mobius cowl. Always one to listen to my yarns, I obliged. The result was the Southern Lights Cowl (so named because the colors reminded me of a darker version of the Northern Lights and I live in the South).

This cowl works up quickly (only 15 rows, no turning!) and would make a great gift. In honor of that (and my favorite month of the year), the Fibers By Tracie group on Ravelry is having a Crochet-a-Long for the SLC. You can find all the details here on Ravelry.

The pattern is available as a download on Ravelry for only $4.00. That and 400 yards of fingering weight yarn will make a great gift for someone (or yourself). So won't you join us in the CAL? Cowls are hot right now and you can make one for your very own! :)

4 comments:

  1. You are so right about cowls for Florida. Once I wore a scarf here (it was winter after all, and it does briefly get cold enough), and I was actually teased by a group of tourists!
    As a not-scarf, a cowl won't invite commentary from tourists :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I've currently got another cowl on the hook and hope to get it out soon. I like mine drapy and a bit big so they can also function like a small shawl that I don't have to worry about keeping in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What evil tourists you have in Florida! :-) That being said, I love möbii so much, and this one is great, Tracie! It reminds me that I have a mobius cowl somewhere in my hat bin that I should dig out and start wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thank you! I have to admit, I'm becoming addicted to them. Especially because you can build both sides of the foundation at the same time and it's symmetrical!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? We'd love to hear them.